Wednesday 10 February 2016

Arrived safely, thunderstorms and different perspectives

Hi friends

I have arrived in sunny South Afrrica! After a long overnight flight I was ready for a shower and sleep which was much welcomed, and to be greeted at the airport by an amazing friend Encasn who not only is my host for the next few days but is also driving me to my final destination of Bulembu on Thursday. So very grateful to this amazing young woman. After much needed sleep on Tuesday, we went out to celebrate Encasn's birthday and met some lovely people. There has been 2 thunder storms in the evenings, wow! lightening galore! And the rain? now I know I'm in Africa!
Being driven around different places almost feels familiar like ive been here for a while,  however due to crazy driving over here I cannot see myself behind the wheel! I was reminded yesterday of the difference between here and the uk, the house I am staying has a housekeeper/cleaner who comes once a week ( as do many households in South Africa) to assist with any chores around the house.  I was struck by the fact that she travels 3-4 hours each way on a bus to get to work as there is no work available where she lives. She has to get up at 3am in order to leave her house to get to work for 7.30am.  I mean 3am?. I  remember how sometimes I would complain about getting up at 6am to be at work for the same time. It certainly makes you think! The fact that people have to travel for miles just to get any chance of a job. It puts a lot of things into perspective.
Off to do some final shopping today before heading on our road trip tomorrow to Bulembu. As much as I love spending time in Pretoria and with friends here I'm now ready to get to Bulembu so I can  settle in, unpack and get into a new routine. Sorry no photos in this post but will post pic in my next blog. Signing off for now. Thanks again for joining me in my adventures join me again soon.

3 comments:

  1. Love and miss you.First Wednesday night without you😢Stay safe xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love and miss you.First Wednesday night without you😢Stay safe xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Nicky Noo. Missing you already. Especially for opening prayer Good evening LOL Glad you arrived safely and now on your last leg of your journey to your new adventure. xxx

    ReplyDelete